$19.00-$21.00 ( shift diff on every shift) | Non-Exempt
This position is responsible for the provision of direct client care and interaction under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), Nurse Manager or physician. The LPN provides medication administration, wound care, patient and family education and historical data collection. Documents care provided in the clinical record. The population served includes children and adults. OSHA Statement: This position has potential for exposure to blood and body fluids.
Medications prn's and scheduled, orders, therapeutic activities - ensures completion, shift notes, medication inventory and ordering, provide input to physician, blood draws, obtain patients for MD, peer evaluations to assist Nurse Manager/Charge RN.
Willing to be an active participant in client restraints, as needed. *Must attend Acute Care Staff meetings once a month*
· Clear/Active license to practice as an LPN in the State of Florida.
· Experience in an inpatient psychiatric unit preferred.
· ** Must be able to type at least 27 wpm on prescreen assessment and score at least 65% on general assessment.
Qualifications to determine pay:
· 3 years of experience with Mental Health population, Crisis Units, Corrections, Substance use or psych settings will be eligible for higher end of pay scale. Experience must be met while utilizing respective license, this must be verified.
· Employment of Agency work or PRN elsewhere will not count toward total length of service experience. PRN at Meridian DOES count towards experience if working as LPN.
· Assists the RN/Physician in the admission process by gathering baseline data of client's current health status.
· Transcribes verbal or telephone orders received from the physician and verifies such by "read-back".
· Transcribes physician orders to the medication administration record (MAR).
· Performs fingerstick for glucose evaluation.
· Blood Draw/IV Therapy (training will be provided)
· Evaluates point-of-care urine drug screens.
· Administers medications as ordered by a physician.
· Provides wound care as ordered by a physician.
· Educates and orients client and family to the unit milieu and structure.
· Provides confidentiality in all interactions with clients, to the extent possible, in the clinical setting.
· Provides for interactions with family, to the extent possible, under HIPAA regulations.
· Ensures that necessary safety precautions are taken based on the client's condition and facility policy.
· Intervenes as necessary to prevent injury to staff or other clients.
· Provides accurate documentation of client interactions and interventions.
· Assists the RN/Physician in the use of seclusion and restraint.
· Provides courteous, respectful interactions with clients, their family members, and other staff.
· Provides reports to the RN Shift Manager, ADON, DON, QI staff as indicated.
· Performs other necessary tasks as assigned by the RN, physician, or RN Shift Supervisor.
· Keeps current with continuing education as required by license or as required by the position.
General Organizational Responsibilities:
· Greets clients as soon as possible after screening and provides welcoming atmosphere.
· Provides confidentiality by during assessment/injection.
· When not engaged in work-related tasks or activities, keeps personal conversation quiet to avoid being misinterpreted by clients.
· Treats all customers clients, staff, other departments with courtesy.
· Documents clearly and effectively utilizing appropriate forms.
· Seeks information as needed.
· Attends all mandatory staff meetings.
· Coordinates breaks with other staff members as appropriate.
· Requests time off with required notice and notifies the Staffing Department as soon as possible if calling off for illness or emergency and adheres to the Absenteeism/Tardy Policy.
· Orients and mentors new staff members as needed and as appropriate.
· Considerate of other team members.
· Works with the team to identify opportunities for improvement
· Flexible and adapts well to change; floats to any acute care units as needed.
· Channels questions, suggestions, and constructive criticism appropriately.
· Reports communicable illnesses in clients to the RN Shift Manager or Administrator On-Call.
· Practices effective hand hygiene, hand washing, and cough etiquette.
· Enforces Standard Precautions and Transmission-based Precautions in all aspects of client care.
· Reports to Employee Health for pre-employment tuberculin skin test and annual skin testing.
Staff is required to stay over shift until appropriate and sufficient staff has arrived. At times, in circumstances of staff call-outs, increased client acuity or supervisor requests, staff is required to stay until dismissed by RN Shift Manager, Staffing Department or Administrator on-call. In the event of a staffing emergency, you may be required to work at an alternate location.
Violation in any of these above areas may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Specific competencies required are identified on a department/program specific basis and identified in each employee's Competency Checklist. The following are general and apply to all positions with this title.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demand:The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are fully committed to
attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified
employees. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin,
age, marital status, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or
genetic information, political affiliation, military service or because they are a protected veteran or other non-merit based factors.
Meridian is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are fully committed to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, marital status, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service or because they are a protected veteran or other non-merit based factors.